A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

MAS16 vs MAS26 ?

KF2B

MAS16 vs MAS26 ?

Post by KF2B on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:40 am

Greetings from Finland!

I´m new here so please be nice Basketball

Laughing

First a introduction - it´s kinda long so just skip to the part with ***** if not interested: I´m 45 yo and work within the higher education field. I am nor a musician nor a "bass player" but a mere rookie. - A wannabe bass player if you will. I grew up in a family where music was always heard - mostly classical - though no-one in my family played any instruments. When teenager I flirted for a while with the guitar (had a Les Paul copy) but I never really liked it as I had always been drawn to the rhythm side of things instead melody. Unfortunately drums were out of the questions back then as we lived in a apartment house with neighbors all around us and electric drums were yet to be invented. So no drums, no playing. Guitar was not my thing and as a young and clueless I sorta put the bass within the same category as "not interested". - I made up for not playing myself by becoming a great fan instead (Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Whitesnake - that sort of thing, you get the drift).

This mode lasted for the following 20 odd years... In 2013 whilst visiting a friend in the US I was asked by a friend of the family with whom I was staying with whether I played any instruments? - The guy was a prominent bass player. - I told him the above story and he asked had I ever even held a bass guitar? - I said no, as what´s the point - I had flirted with the guitar and "just knew" stringed instruments were not my thing. The guy laughed, put away his beer and said he was going to pick up something from his car... And he returned with a bass. Long story short I came to understand that a bass can be seen as "a drum-set camouflaged with strings" and not long after I had returned home from my visit to the US I found myself sitting on a bass class and plucking those darn strings day in and day out.

Long story short, I came acquainted with the bass guitar on a too late a point in my life to ever become even remotely fluent with it but that´s OK. My work consists of meeting and interacting with people on a daily basis, so the bass for me is sort of a foxhole where I can withdraw and immerse myself in musical relaxation after getting home from work. - Not saying I wont ever play with others but as of now it´s just the two of us - me and my bass (not counting the family which is "blessed to be my audience").

To the point: It took a while to find MSA but here I am...
    As apparent from above I really do not need this level of gear but as I do this for sheer enjoyment and can afford it why not play with good equipment? With this in mind I have set to put up a small in size living room set-up and am thinking about MAS16 or MAS26 as an option. I initially had my eyes go towards MAS46 but have come to the conclusion after reading herein that for a dedicated living room practice cab it might prove to be too much?

Anyway, what I am really asking is what would be the benefits and differences for the MAS16/MAS26 for said purpose? - what are their differences what comes to actual usage and sound? I´ll be powering the cab that I´ll be getting with an ISP Stealth Pro pedal amp and occasionally with a Trace Elliot Twinvalve tube amp which excels at 4ohm´s. So I guess 4 ohm is a given. As of now I am playing through a USA Ampeg B-100R combo which I really like and it will remain in another room.  I play simple blues rock within the lines of ZZ Top and use 4 string Jazz/Precision as my instrument.

Sorry for the long winded rant and thanks for taking the time to read.

Cheers,

J.
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: MAS16 vs MAS26 ?

Post by Leland Crooks on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:30 am

Never too late. Ever. Welcome.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:38 pm

Hi!

Actually a very good question. The MAS/MVW cabs sound their best at different volume points, If they are played too quietly (they still sound good) there is not as much "rear wave" (the sound coming out of the ports). The magic of these cabs is when the rear wave integrates with the front wave. Then you get the magical thing that these speakers do---- a beautiful 3d sound with a nice solid punch and great balance.

The MAS16 was designed initially for the purpose of practicing at home, but also sounds great on small coffee house type gigs and is really nice for upright.

The MAS26 is obviously two of the same 6.5" woofers and 3" midrange/tweeters. Besides for going twice as loud, it is a bit fuller. It would work really well as a practice amp speaker, but would allow you to play with electric guitars, etc.The 46 would be overkill I think, but if you could afford it I think that the 26 would be my choice. If you are only playing at a low level at home the 16 would be fine---but the extra $200 that the 26 costs would like having two of the 16's and would be more versatile in the end.

In your situation I feel that there would be no disadvantage with the 26.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Welcome KF2B

KF2B

Post by KF2B on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:26 am

Thanks for the nice words guys Smile

Mike - thanks for the info. I appreciate it. If you have the time could you also please share a bit about the possible differences and preferences what comes to placement of the MSA16 & MSA26. Of course each space has it´s own room acoustics and trial and error is the only way to know what works in a given specific space, but in general ( as the vortex wavelength stuff really goes beyond my understanding ) : - what is generally considered as the `do and do not`regards placing MAS16 & MAS26 on a typical small living room space?

Also, I´d appreciate if you could tell what is the cabinet size of the MAS26 (I did not find it here).

Thanks! guitar
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:46 pm

You will find more information on the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    The MAS-26 is about the same height and depth as the MAS-16 just wider at about 22“

mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Actually, the MAS26 is 26" by 8 1/4" by 14" deep. It weighs about 27 pounds.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
    albino

Mark Sacchetti

Post by Mark Sacchetti on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:52 pm

I have the 16 and the 46 cabs. The 16 is as described. I like it allot. I use it at home everyday. It gets loud enough for home playing and sounds full and reproduces my basses tone well. When I'm feeling randy I pair it with my 1203 , both 8 ohms, and have a roucous time. My pug doesn't care for it when I do so

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:19 am