Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

MAS-210 Flex review

dennisgilpatrick

MAS-210 Flex review

Post by dennisgilpatrick on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:53 pm

About a month ago I purchased a barely used MAS-210 Flex from fellow Talk Bass'er thumbs&fingers. I've used the cab on 14 gigs now, and after about 40 years of searching for my ultimate tone, the quest has ended. I don't know how much I can add that hasn't already been said about these cabs, but I'll give my impressions anyway. The first thing I noticed is that the sound is so even. From drop D tuning to the highest registers of my bass, all the notes have the same volume and punch. My band plays Modern Country and I only drop D on a few songs, but when I do, the D notes are simply amazing. I will actually start laughing every time I hit one, it's that crazy!  I was able to add a graphic eq pedal to my board to bring out even more highs and lows, because the Flex was able to reproduce it. My tone is very articulate and crushing at the same time. The Flex hits very hard if you let it. In the photos posted below, the first one is from a recent job I did. In the second close-up, my Mesa Prodigy's master volume is the sixth knob from the left. You'll notice how low the knob is set, it's barely on. That setting will fill a good sized stage, the cab is that efficient! I'd like to thank Steve and Tom at Big E for their incredible technology, Mike Arnopol for building this cab and setting up the transaction, and finally thanks to thumbs&fingers for going out of his way to meet me and give me such a sweet deal, and for just being an all-around great guy!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Re: MAS-210 Flex review

Post by Steve Regier on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Happy to see you are enjoying this very unique Bass Instrument Loudspeaker. We had quite a bit of fun in its design. The 210FLEX and 210MOD are part of the small subset in the BigE family that posses a dynamic crossover.

MarkA
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by MarkA on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:54 am

The 210 Flex is a fat, juicy hammer.

By "dynamic crossover", Steve, are you referring to all the switching options?
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:39 am

MarkA wrote:The 210 Flex is a fat, juicy hammer.

By "dynamic crossover", Steve, are you referring to all the switching options?  
    It goes beyond the switching,  but the switching is the start. The crossover character changes dynamicly with the signal input as well as the voicing options selected by the switching. The EgG-8 Leland is introducing this month as a HT main/bookshelf/modeling loudspeaker does not have any switching but the crossover knee is signal reactive.

MarkA
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by MarkA on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:04 am

Hmm. I knew about the light bulb circuit in "dark mode", but it sounds like what you're talking about goes beyond that. First I've heard of such a thing, honestly.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:53 am

MarkA wrote:Hmm....First I've heard of such a thing, honestly.
    That's what Duke said. He looks over the crossovers for fun and our edification.

This is the type of analog processing with which  we are all familiar. It's found in analog compressors and EQs and such. We are just using similar circuitry in the crossover to produce analog processing rather than the digital type seen in powered loudspeakers today. (The components are just more robust due to the amount of energy they are handling.) This gives us the ability to process the signal to give the loudspeaker its desired characteristics while not limiting the user to an on board power amp. We are BigE: New Old-School.

MarkA
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by MarkA on Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:40 pm

Crazy. I'll listen carefully the next time I take the Flex Mod out! For what it's worth, I usually don't like compressors, but I like playing through that cab - you guys must be doing something right!
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:00 pm

MarkA wrote:Crazy.  I'll listen carefully the next time I take the Flex Mod out!  For what it's worth, I usually don't like compressors, but I like playing through that cab - you guys must be doing something right!
    We don't like most compressors either. There are exceptions like Ashly gear. I still use my analog blue face. It is that sweetness that we seek in all our products and we will do what it takes to get it. Nothing is off the table.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:25 am