Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

MAS Essential 112 Tube

Superbird

Re: MAS Essential 112 Tube

Post by Superbird on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm

ric426 wrote:I'll be looking for more info on a "new MAS 109". Wonder how that will differ from the MA109.

Me too What a Face
    ric426

Post by ric426 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:44 pm

Read this over on that other forum from radbass:
    "The new MAS 109 with the custom 10 will probably come with an 8 ohm speaker so you will have the option of using it as a sub or stand alone. It will handle about twice the power of the MA 109, but it's very efficient and gets real loud without a lot of power. This thing seems to me to get at least as loud as a really good 2x10, but goes much deeper. I would think you be able to carry most bars and small clubs with one of these without pa support. It also sounds amazing and does all the Big E magic tricks."

My interest is further piqued...

Superbird

Post by Superbird on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 pm

Might be the perfect partner to my MA109...

RoadRanger

Post by RoadRanger on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:06 pm

Hey, what's the latest on the (tweeterless?) 112LPT ? There's no specs or price on the website that I can find Sad .
    Steve Berndt
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by Steve Berndt on Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:36 pm

That sounds like a fair question to me as well.
    Although the updates are as slow as ever Smile
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:27 pm

RoadRanger wrote:Hey, what's the latest on the (tweeterless?) 112LPT ? There's no specs or price on the website that I can find Sad .

OK--the month of October is the "get my website up to date" month.

There is some news on the 112 front.

First of all---thanks to Steve B. for getting me going on the LPT.

The 112 will be one cab with various options. Standard is the new custom 12. It has very close to the efficiency of the LPT with the extension and excursion capabilities of the Eminence 3012LF. So---the new 112's are much more efficient than the Faital/18 Sound versions. With gloriously good mids. The Faital/18 Sound 112's will be an option. They do go a bit louder with a bit more power handling---and different sonic profiles.

But the new 12 incher---whoa!!!. That's all I've been playing lately. It will be available as the Essential (no mid drivers)----it goes pretty nicely to 4khz by itself---for $750.

So---the LPT will be the same as the MAS112. The price will be $1000. Add $75 for wheels and upper center handle. $120 for a Ciare tweeter. $100 for either the Faital or 18 Sound.

Oh---and the new 112 is about 7# lighter-----around 45#

Also---standard will be 4 ohms. I may eventually do 8 ohms, but due to the costs I had to make a choice. I've played the new 112 on loud gigs and didn't feel that I needed the slight extra dynamic capabilities of the Faital/ 18 Sound versions. So we're talking 101 db efficiency and 4 ohms. You can drive it super loud with virtually any amp.

And it does go lower than the Faital/18Sound 112's.

RoadRanger

Post by RoadRanger on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:37 pm

I'm a bit confused as to the difference between the $750 and $1000 "versions" ?
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:03 pm

The Essential ($750) uses only the 12. No mid drivers.Good to around 4khz. The MAS112 ($1000) includes four 4" midrange drivers that go past 10khz. The version without the mid driver sounds pretty darn good, though. The four midrange drivers add upper midrange definition.

RoadRanger

Post by RoadRanger on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Kinda funny, you're not the only speaker builder I'm talking to trying to talk me out of not having any mids or tweeters Smile . I mostly play an active "P" (EMG's) with flats with a bit of B15 type overdrive that doesn't work well with cabs that go over 4K.
    Steve Berndt
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by Steve Berndt on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:19 am

Okay quick note on my LPT.

Have not been following the pix and quips in the forums so...

IIRC my LPT is an oddball version, although it fits the ala carte options well, as I have the Eminence (?) 12 and Ciare 1 " tweeter. No midrange speakers at all.

If I am recording with a microphone on the LPT the Ciare is Off.
    I also tend to use a figure 8 pattern farther into the room and to my ears that pattern best represents vortexitude occurring in a room.

Live is where it comes in handy though. Depends on your tone choice, other instrumentation but mostly how you want yourself slotted in the mix.
    I too prefer my LPT elevated horizontally.
    There have been times when on or off was somewhat meh.
    There have also been times when it was like turning on the lights.

Doh! Edit time as I was reminded at a blues jam that my LPT also has the "Duke Switch " for taming a known eminence spike. Really helpful when a Gibson ES 335 style bass showed up.

If you really like to tweek, geek out, test drive amplifiers and basses and hear yourself live get the full package.
    If you are on the fence get out and get yourself in front of one or two MAS cabinets. No amount of prose is going to prepare you for what you will hear let alone the experience of a shot to the solar plexus from a low G.

final word of advice is to define how you are going to use the cabinet and call Mike.
    Your input with his knowledge will steer you in the right direction.

To tweet or not to tweet? Only you can answer that one.

Despite using my MAS LPT 90% of the time and trying to justify keeping a pair of MAS Signatures sans tweeters they are staying.
    Those cabs helped me weed out my preferences for amplification. Down to a pair now. One tube one Solid State.
    They also helped define my sound. More precisely what "Me" sounds like.
    How? Easy. I can now hear every nuance of left and right hand technique (unfortunately think getting older) and the things I have been doing wrong.
    Less is so much more and dynamics are so much more powerful.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:06 pm

RoadRanger wrote:Hey, what's the latest on the (tweeterless?) 112LPT ? There's no specs or price on the website that I can find Sad .

Steve Berndt wrote:That sounds like a fair question to me as well.
    Although the updates are as slow as ever Smile

Mike is in the process of finalizing the LPT and his new website catalog. What updates are you looking for?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:58 pm