Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

MAS45/112S

dharmashawn

MAS45/112S

Post by dharmashawn on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:46 pm

What do you think? Can this work? Seems like a good idea, run the ol' 45 on top of a 112 instead of the conventional 45/110s?

What do y'all think??

Namaste

Shawn
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Re: MAS45/112S

Post by Steve Regier on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:09 am

One can mix and match MVW loudspeakers pretty much at will.  What are your sonic goals? The midrange of the 112 is much more exquisite than the 110 making we me wonder what you are trying to achieve.  An MAS-112 Essential under an  MAS-45.5 could have some merit especially with a crossover between them.

dharmashawn

Post by dharmashawn on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Steve Regier wrote:One can mix and match MVW loudspeakers pretty much at will.  What are your sonic goals? The midrange of the 112 is much more exquisite than the 110 making we me wonder what you are trying to achieve.  An MAS-112 Essential under an  MAS-45.5 could have some merit especially with a crossover between them.

I am just really trying to get to most out of the modular aspect, as well as yr amazing designs. I really want something that can be used for low volume at home (condo) practice (MAS 45) and something that can cover gigs. 45/110. When I saw the MAS-112 and read how happy Mike was with it, I thought hrmm "Can this work well in place of the 110 in the already well received 45/110S?

I play 4 string, but use a boat load off effects and need something that can handle some weird sounds, not necessarily heavy distortion, but definitely some Octave/envelope combo's!! LOVE me some Quacky Filters!!!!!!!!!

But if you say there is no need to change the recipe, I am in no place to argue good sir.

Shorter version "best bang for the buck with the most versatility"

Thanks Much and
    Be Well

Shawn (TB'er who found his way here to discuss amazing ideas)
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:34 pm

The 45/110s combo is designed for situations just like yours. If you wanted a bigger badder version a custom 46/112 combo could be done.

mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:19 pm

I think that the 112 would work well as a sub with either the 45 or 46. My only concern is efficiency match. The 112 is more efficient than the 110 sub. The 45 and 46 are similar in efficiency.

Tell you what---I have all of these speakers on hand. For the flattest curve the 45 is being padded down about 3db to match with the 110 sub. The 112 is about 3 or 4 db more efficient than the 110. So----without the pad we might be there. Later this week I'll check it out.

Another interesting modular way to go that I really like---

The MAS46 goes about the same volume as the 110/45 combo.I really like having a 46 and 26. The 26 goes about the same volume as the 45 and has been improved so that to me---there is not a clear winner between the 45 and 26.I use a MAS66 all the time---it's my go-to cab these days. With the 26/46 one has a lot of flexibility. Used together there is virtually no difference between that and the 66.

Just putting it out there.

But I am curious about the 112 essential as a sub. I'll check it out this week.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:36 pm

The Arnopol has spoken!
    afro

dharmashawn

Post by dharmashawn on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:09 pm

I am also interested and would love some other info / experience on this 46/26 idea! These could both be made at 8ohms, yes yes?
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:45 pm

In order for them to function together and all speakers receive the same amount of power---the 46 is 8 ohms and the 26 is 16 ohms. The 26 doesn't need a lot of power so you can bring it to its limits without tons of power. This way you can combine them so that you essentially have a MAS66 with all drivers receiving the same amount of power.

Maybe we can ask Steve (aka The Switch Whisper) if it's possible to have a 4 ohm/16 ohm switch on the 26. The switch would have to change the 6 1/2"ers from series to parallel. But in order to use the mid/tweets we'd also have to be able to switch between separate high pass networks---they have different values for 4 or 16 ohms.

My head short circuits thinking about this. Steve loves the challenge.
    dharmashawn

Post by dharmashawn on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:14 pm

mikearnopol wrote:In order for them to function together and all speakers receive the same amount of power---the 46 is 8 ohms and the 26 is 16 ohms. The 26 doesn't need a lot of power so you can bring it to its limits without tons of power. This way you can combine them so that you essentially have a MAS66 with all drivers receiving the same amount of power.

Maybe we can ask Steve (aka The Switch Whisper) if it's possible to have a 4 ohm/16 ohm switch on the 26. The switch would have to change the 6 1/2"ers from series to parallel. But in order to use the mid/tweets we'd also have to be able to switch between separate high pass networks---they have different values for 4 or 16 ohms.

My head short circuits thinking about this. Steve loves the challenge.

Well again, I am not looking to add / make work that is unnecessary for you all. If you guys think there is a proven combo to get me where I want to be lets discuss that option and see what's what. I suggested the 112 as a sub from yr rave and liked the idea of having it as a stand alone option. But I am really, really starting to like this 46/26 (46/46 is out of the budget) combo. I also, really want to smoke the whole: Pink Floyd - Meddle track 3 idealists. There are more options and people who think outside the box with phenomenal results. The concepts I watched unfold on TB were great and I am thrilled to be able to get in on this design in which I have believed in from jumpstreet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 am