Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

New MAS112 w/ Duke's crossover

mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

New MAS112 w/ Duke's crossover

Post by mikearnopol on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:37 am

Just finished TB member greenrositti's MAS112. Actually, 3rdcurves is the first one due, but that's the one that Duke is shipping back. It'll go out early next week.It has the tweet and greenrositti's doesn't.

holy shit.

It really sounds astounding. I'm so glad that Nomatic asked if I could get the mids in line with the Flex's. I thought we would come close but I really didn't think we could match it. We did. The balance is as good or better than any of my cabs. The Flex is a bit leaner and speedy in the low end with a warm and punchy mid and upper bass. I love it for articulate fusion and fingerstyle funk playing. The 112 is very fast in the low end but bigger than the Flex. The Flex has crazy flexibility and I think that speed and flexibility warrants the extra dough.

But the 112 now has crazy power and low end control and totally kickass mids and highs. It sounds as good as any of my speakers with recorded music. Its mids and highs are about 3db up from flat which is just where I wanted them. Not as aggressive as the MA112 when set flat----but---as Radbass has found out, turn down the bass a bit (rather than boosting mids) and the mids come up and are as snarly and grindy as you could want. The MA112 has more aggressive mids right out of the box but can't get the level of detail and balance of the MAS112.

One thing that the MAS112 does better than any speaker I've played through. This may sound stupid, but the P bass position pickup on my Roscoe sounds more P-bass-y---and the Music Man pickup sounds more Music Man-y. It seems like the inherent sound of the different pickup positions is more apparent with the MAS112.

And it sounds HUGE without any bloom or bloat.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

And the new Penn Elcom top corner handle makes this the winner of the easiest schlep award.

Sorry about being so over the top, but I'm just really happy..And so much thanks go to Tom, Steve, and Duke---what a great team!
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Re: New MAS112 w/ Duke's crossover

Post by Steve Regier on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:39 am

Awe...go on. sunny
    Do I also understand that there may be a pre-catalog order price invective for an MAS upgrade from the base MA-112?

Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 am

That's a really great handle. It goes on all my subs.

3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve on Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:58 am

Expectations are high!

greenrositti

Post by greenrositti on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:07 am

3rdcurve wrote:Expectations are high!

Yes...yes...high, they are.
     Blues Blothers 

professorx

Post by professorx on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:07 am

What are the dimensions/weight on the signature version?  I'm really torn between this and a hathor 1855 as my single cab "doom solution"

3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Update

Post by 3rdcurve on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:02 pm

greenrositti wrote:
    3rdcurve wrote:Expectations are high!

Yes...yes...high, they are.
     Blues Blothers 

Spent any time with your new cab? Reviews?

greenrositti

Post by greenrositti on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:27 am

I've been slammed at work, and Mike's been away, so neither of us has had a chance to close the loop on the cabinet.  I'll definitely let this thread and the one on TB know all about it once it lands.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Green's would have gone out but I realized that he wanted a full grill. Ordered it Tuesday and will have it Monday. 3rd Curve's cab just got here from Dukes and will also go out Monday. Just assembled three 112 cabs today. (and a 210 Flex Mod). Busy, busy, busy.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:46 pm

professorx wrote:What are the dimensions/weight on the signature version?  I'm really torn between this and a hathor 1855 as my single cab "doom solution"

The MAS112 is 32 high by 15 1/2 wide by 18 1/2 deep. Weight is within a pound of 50#.Actually about the same size and weight as a Berg CN212.Goes about the same volume as the 18. (as per Duke) It is VERY easy to move around.

thack

Post by thack on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Mike, with this being a smoother version, as I understand, have you tried it for doubling. Maybe not for jazz but for roots / Americana. I am happy with the tc15af you built me for upright and a jazz type bass, but I am thinking of going with a thicker sounding amp vs my shuttle max 9.2. This cab may be an alternate approach to the same end.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

I just spent some quality time with the 112 and upright. Actually it's killin' for jazz and would be better than any of my other cabs for roots/Americana. I didn't think it would be good for upright---but it's better than good. Super fast and articulate, but warm, too. And it can sound HUGE. Sounded better than my 66 with upright.For smaller upright gigs I prefer my 45---but even on medium gigs the MAS112 works great. You'll just get reproachful looks for showing up with a 32" tall cab. But--screw 'em!

This cab is weird---it's smooth, I guess.Hit the mid switch on back and you ain't in Kansas no more. And it seems to turn into different cabs with eq. It's the only cab I make that I could recommend for upright, chordal/harmonic stuff with electric, death metal, or dub. It's flatter through the bass region than my other cabs (not that it's a good or bad thing---just a voicing choice) so the lower to mid-mids sound clearer. Huge, articulate low end but no "wooliness".

Upright---hell yes!
    Tyler Bolles
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by Tyler Bolles on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:47 pm

mikearnopol wrote:I just spent some quality time with the 112 and upright. Actually it's killin' for jazz and would be better than any of my other cabs for roots/Americana. I didn't think it would be good for upright---but it's better than good.
    Upright---hell yes!

Oh just stop please....you're fueling my GAS! Maybe what I need is one of these and to hang on to my new 26 for lower-moderate volume gigs....my loud gigs are all old country or slab.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:19 am

It's so weird--I hadn't even considered that the 112 would be good with upright. I was so concentrating on in-your-face electric sound.

It's funny---when Duke first heard it weeks ago the first thing he said was how good it sounded with recordings of double bass and solo double bass. It didn't even register with me.

The 112 is strange. It has a bit of a chameleon-like character. If you're going for an aggressive electric sound--turn the bass down just a tad.Or hit the mid switch. Big, fat electric--bass up a bit. Upright---mids down just a little.

Best loud electric sound I've ever gotten.

mntngrown
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Nice!

Post by mntngrown on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:15 am

But you are wrong! My 48 is the baddest loud rockin cab you ever built!... right..... crap  I hope I can make some more room in my garage, by selling my monster cab. Congrats on the continuing development of the concept. It's still cheaper than golf, repeat repeat.  Cool
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Oh---the 48 is the LOUDEST cab I've made. It is a tad big, but actually in terms of size and weight---it's smaller and lighter than its competition. It goes wicked low, too.

The 48 goes about as loud as 1 1/2 MAS112's.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Loud and Low. That is why the MAS-48 project was code-named "MaDeuce-4" after the beloved anti-aircraft gun.
     Dalek

mntngrown
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

just jokin

Post by mntngrown on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:28 am

Jokin About GAS for the latest and greatest. Keep up the great work. My 46 is great for light to medium duty too.
    MarkA
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by MarkA on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Just posted this on TB.  Apologies for the copy-and-paste!

Until yesterday, I hadn't bought a brand-new cab or amp since my first: the Gorilla combo that helped start me on my electric bass journey in 1990.  I still have my first bass and my first amp -- how many of you guys can say that?  (I confess that the amp doesn't get much play anymore, but the bass is still my main squeeze.)  Yesterday, I ordered a MAS 112 -- full grill, all black, by the way.  I'm not a tweeter guy, but I'm getting the tweeter with this one.  In part, it's a "just in case" thing, as Jake said, and, who knows, I might actually like it in certain situations and/or certain rooms.  It's on a switch if I don't.

Two interesting features on mine, which Mike and I discussed:

•    An additional switch that takes everything except the 12" speaker out of the circuit and lets it run full-range.  I got this idea from two places: First, my younger brother, who's told me that my education isn't complete until I spend some time playing an old-school cab with a single speaker in a (I'd guess sealed) box.  I don't think I'd be happy limiting myself all the time to a 2-3KHz top end, but I do think that some of the old school Motown sounds and lines were pretty killer (and surely one influences the other -- I play differently with my fretless P-bass than with my fretted reverse-P/J).  Not long after that, I read on the Big E forum about a "MAS 112 Essential," which is the 112 sans crossover, mids, and tweet.  Mike had posted that the 18 Sound 12" had a response that reminded him of I-forget-which venerable old driver (or maybe it was another user who mentioned a specific driver), and that he thought it would make a good old-school cab for those into that thing.  It wasn't a far leap from that to ask if a switch could be installed that would give me both cabs in one.  I figured letting the speaker roll-off naturally would sound and feel different than trying to do the same thing with the tone knob and amp EQ with the other drivers and crossover in there.  Mike agreed.  Since we're just looking at a switch and maybe a bit of wire, impact on tone should be nil or close to it.  I admit, I feel kinda smart about this -- it's not the uber-switching of the Flex, but it's another viable configuration for the price of a nice set of strings.
    •    A Baltic Birch back panel.  When I played the 112 at Mike's place, it was quick, tight, punchy, and even from top to bottom, so, naturally, I had a bunch of questions about how it might be improved (or just changed -- I don't know that all my ideas would yield improvements).  My 2nd generation 66 is made of okume, which is supposed to improve the midrange response of that cab.  Since the Big E cabs use no batting inside and are supposed, in many respects, to act like acoustic instruments, it makes sense that different woods would change the response (though I don't know to what degree).  I asked Mike about using okume or Baltic birch.  The cab being as heavily braced as it is by its many internal panels, Mike thought it dubious that building the cab from heavier woods would result in much benefit, particularly when taking into account the weight penalty.  He had, though, contemplated the possible effect of a stiffer back panel in this particular design.  So, we're trying it in mine -- just the back panel, everything else the same.  I'd elaborate further, but I think Mike will do a better job here, so I'll leave it to him.

I believe that you need not only to play a rig, but to play it on your own turf and out in different situations to really get to know it.  I was impressed with the 112 when I tried it (and I tried it next to my old standby 2x12), but I don't feel I really know it.  I am excited to play it, though!  I don't think it will be "a better version of my 2x12" -- though I've thought of it in those terms before.  It will be its own cab (for one thing, the midrange character is different, though the mids are similarly present in both cabs, for another, there's the whole vortex thing), but, I think, keep much of what I like about my 212 while improving upon it significantly in several areas.  I think it will do more than that, actually, but I'll wait to say more until I've had some quality time with it.  Still, I anticipate good things.

Mike has been great to deal with -- we've been talking off and on for years, and I'm finally buying a cab from him.  There was never any pressure.  I just have a good feeling about this.

Misc. note: I used to have a Markbass SD800.  I let it go in a regrettable trade, but I remember liking it -- quick and hard hitting, but warmer and deeper than my F500 -- at least that's how I remember it.  Just saw one for cheap on here, so I picked it up.  I think it will be a good match, power-wise, for the 112.  I'm excited by what JGR's doing with his amp, but it will be some time before I have the dough for something in that league (though the BoT is tempting and more readily attainable), so, for the meanwhile...

When the cab gets here, I'll try it with what I've got and see how everything stacks up.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:45 am

Congratulations, and welcome to the family.

MarkA
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by MarkA on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:14 am

Thank you!  I am very much looking forward to spending some time with this cab.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:47 am