A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

fun new collaboration

mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

fun new collaboration

Post by mikearnopol on Sat May 24, 2014 12:43 pm

This is right up Steve's alley

You might have seen posts here and on other forums by JGR. JGR is one of the nicest guys in the world who also happens to design and build probably the best tube bass preamp out there. He uses components that you'd only see in a crazy $5k home stereo preamp. But he has a day gig designing some very top secret high tech stuff. In other words---he's one of the smart guys.So he doesn't have the available time to go into a commercial project larger than what he's doing right now---building great tube pres for a small market.

We're coming up with a project that is an all out assault on Uber High Quality and UBER high SPL bass amplification. It will mate the new MA115 (as high SPL as any super 215 cabs) with an internal 2000watt lightweight digital amp and his gorgeous preamp on top.

It can be made with either a four ohm or an 8 ohm driver for those who want to run two of them. Who knows if and when we'll get it done but I think we will!

Perfect for small cocktail gigs.
    Doug Hart
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: fun new collaboration

Post by Doug Hart on Sat May 24, 2014 1:40 pm

LOVE IT !!!

JGR
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by JGR on Sun May 25, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks Mike!  It will be fun to see what some of the more powerful lightweight amps can do rather than trying to uprate the smaller modules like most of the micros do.  I believe a lot of it has to due with rated duty cycle which is where the differences can arise, both with micros and cheap PA amps.  It's not an issue for a lot of folks, but when you're playing loud with a driving pick style for instance with some compression on the signal transients from the tubes, it's easy to make a lot of stuff say uncle pretty quick.  I had a CA9 and now a PLX3602 as my reference amps (and a pair of 400 watt DB728 tube power amps before that), so  my expectations are set.  So we need something that wields big brass cajones or why bother!  guitar 
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Mon May 26, 2014 9:04 am

The fun thing about trying a project like this which initially seems over-the-top and impractical is that the pursuit itself can yield practical results. We are now forging a relationship with a top manufacturer of (state of the art) lightweight digital power modules. Got one perfect for the 115. But also it seems like we may have a powered speaker option for many cabinets. And likely at a pretty good price.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Mon May 26, 2014 1:13 pm

I share Mike's enthusiasm for this project. The possibility to take the entire product line to the next level is great.

JGR
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by JGR on Mon May 26, 2014 10:38 pm

In between diaper changes and a frustrating trip to Home Depot, I got a fair amount of reading done today to get smart on the modules as well some initial design work. I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl.

3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve on Sat May 31, 2014 1:23 am

Well this sounds like a match made in heaven!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:38 pm