MA112 unveiling!

mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

MA112 unveiling!

Post by mikearnopol on Fri May 16, 2014 1:39 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Crummy workshop phone pic--sorry

Ok---I'm REALLY excited about this cab. It sounds fantastic. It goes as loud as a 212, louder than a super 15, and louder than a 410. And it goes a lot lower.

It has one 12" woofer (Kappalite 3012LF and possibly a 4 ohm 3012LF) and four 3" Faital mid/tweets. Duke helped with the crossover. There are two mid switches. One takes out a big peak at about 1700 hz. But if you leave the filter off you get a serious but musical bite. The 3012lf also has a gentle rise of about 2.5db starting at about 550hz that just plateaus. With the filter switched off it gives a very nice slightly mid-forward sound. Or not. I'm using four of the Faital 3's to go lower than usual (that's why I'm using four) so that they overlap the woof. The newer waveguides (all current models) function very nicely in the vertical position. I was playing the 66 and the 112 back and forth at top volume for about 1 1/2 hours. Not advisable indoors. Had to stop because it felt like someone was standing on my solar plexus.

I was driving it with about 400 watts. It's pretty efficient at about 98db. 300 watts will drive it fine. This speaker would be rock and roll heaven with 200 watts of tube power.

When I first fired up the 112 I didn't realize that I had both filters off. I had it pretty cranked. Now I know what a great rock tone is. I felt like I was Jack Casady on the beginning of "3/5 Of A Mile In 10 Seconds" at the beginning of the Airplane's "Bless Its Pointed Little Head". Great rock grind and cut but still musical. And a HUGE low end if you want it. For me, the compromise had always been "do I want a huge low end or punchy and focused with good pitch definition"? It's nice to have both. I then switched the filters in. A bit more "up front" than the 66. But in a way I dig. They were similar at top volume. The 66 goes a tiny bit lower. But the low end on the 112 is humongous. But never bloated or slow. On my Roscoe I have it tricked out with birdseye covered Reed James neo's and a John East preamp. I moved the bridge pickup closer to the neck position. (pretty much exactly Music Man position.) Fellow TB'er Radbass (if you're in Chicago and need a great repairman--he's the guy) did the work and made an identical birdseye dummy pickup where the other pickup was. Looks pretty slick and sounds great.

I put the MM position pickup on by itself. Added a little bass and lower mids. Fantastic Bernard Edwards MM sound. But with a very big but uber focused low end. I think I liked the 112 better than the 66 for the solo MM pickup. The 66 sounds different than the 112. A bit more of a fast "thump" at the beginning of the note. But the 112 has a faster "thump" than any other non Big E cab that I've heard.

I think that there is a slight edge in refinement in the 6" based cabs and the Flex's, but the 112 came closer than I had anticipated. They are all a bit different in sound.

With the two lower mids firing up at you the mids and highs are very easy to hear. I was actually preferring it to the 66 but then I put a wedge under the 66 (about 2 1/2") and then the mids and highs really came to life on the 66. The 3" Faitals go nearly flat to 14khz so even for slapping there is plenty of high end. The Ciare tweet on the 66 does add a bit  of "air" up on top. It's pretty subtle but it's there. And nice.

The dimensions on the 112 are 32" tall, 15 1/2" wide and 18 1/2" deep. And 48#. (including the grill and Duratex---this one weighed 43# but I figured it would likely come out at 48#)
    I have to mention this since it they go about the same volume---- the Bergantino CN212 is about the exact same size and weight. (just rotated 90 degrees). The Barefaced Big Twin is an inch bigger and a pound heavier. The 112 goes lower than either and to my taste sounds better.

It will have options of nice corner wheels and a corner handle on the top back edge for easy rolling. It will also have an option of a higher power handling 4" voice coil 12. And a Ciare tweet if you really want it.

Oh---one more thing. It's price will be $875. The Berg is $300 more and the Barefaced is over $1,000 more.

Last edited by mikearnopol on Sat May 17, 2014 9:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: MA112 unveiling!

Post by mikearnopol on Fri May 16, 2014 1:44 am

oh---and if anyone wanted to post any of this on TB---I'd have no objections

3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 3rdcurve on Sat May 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Ok, so how does it compare to the 210 flex in output? I had a Lds 12/6 that really sounded sweet, the 3012lf is a fantastic driver. Will the 4 ohm 4" voice coil driver be a version of the 3012? This cab sounds like a real winner on a lot of fronts.
    ric426

Post by ric426 on Sun May 18, 2014 12:56 am

mikearnopol wrote:I felt like I was Jack Casady on the beginning of "3/5 Of A Mile In 10 Seconds" at the beginning of the Airplane's "Bless Its Pointed Little Head".

Then you have found what I would consider is bass tone heaven. The 109 with a Walkabout and a Jack Casady bass is awesome and makes me smile every time I play it. The 112 must be even better. Good thing the 109 gives me everything I need in a speaker or I'd be trying to sell a kidney to get an MA112. I'd still like to try the internal upgrade in the 109, but it's not urgent.

5StringPocket
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 5StringPocket on Sun May 18, 2014 3:40 pm

That looks like a great bass cab. The vertical form factor is a bit more traditional and the power to weight and reasonable pricing ought to be a big draw. The mid voice switches look like they'd allow it to offer a good variety of tones. Nice work. Would those 4 three's be able to support a higher powered woofer than the 3012LF? I'd like to hear one of these with that new Demeter VTBP M800D. Mike do you have yours yet?
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Tue May 20, 2014 1:24 am

Ok---I tried it with the 800 watt 18 Sound 12 today.Fellow TB'er Radbass was over.

OMG!!!!!

As great as the Kappalite 3012LF sounded---the 18 Sound wasted it. Now they both hit the wall at about the same point but you could hear the LF start to get stressed and farty a lot earlier. Don't get me wrong---with the Kappalite I'd put it against any 212 or super 15. But with the 18 Sound---I'll just have to say it---the most visceral and muscular bass sound I've ever heard. And clarity and detail.

To be honest---we had to stop after a while because in my basement that much low end power was kindof physically disorienting. Duke's voicing switches seem to work just as well with the 18 Sound. The 18 Sound just seems to keep its detail and power as far as it can be pushed. And it seems a bit more efficient. I was probably hitting it with about 350 watts and that was all it needed.

I plugged in my phone and played "Babylon Sisters" through it. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I really think that we've got the Faital 3's in pretty damn good balance. Did it sound as good with music as my Flex or 66? Probably not---but MUCH closer than I had expected. And having those lower 3's firing at you---you can really hear the detail. Leave the filter switches off---it's serious rock and roll . Leave the low filter off but the high filter on---mid forward but musical. Both filters on---SURPRISINGLY hifi..The most visceral B string I've ever heard. And fast.

Guys were saying that it seemed big. The cool thing is that it's deep but only 15 1/2" wide. So with side handles it's a super easy carry through doorways. I'm putting nice corner rollerblade type casters on it and a top recessed corner handle. With the 18 Sound you gain about 6#. At $975 plus a few bucks if you want the wheels. Or $875 with the 3012LF.

It goes louder than my 66 and close enough to the 210 Flex in volume that you'd have to be nuts to want more volume. The thing I'm happy about is that the 6" based cabs and the Flex cabs have their own voicing and character advantages. My feeling is that if this cab doesn't take care of biz for you it's time to switch to piccolo.

Just ordered the 1000 watt 4 ohm Faital 15 and six 4" Faitals for the MA115. I think I'll wear those ear protectors they use on the air fields to try that one out.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Don't forget your helmet. LF can be transmitted through the skull into the ear bypassing the ear canal. This of course is only a concern in high LF SPL situations...so ... don't forget your helmet. Dalek

5StringPocket
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 5StringPocket on Tue May 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Corner rollerblade type casters on it and a top recessed corner handle is a nice touch.  32"H x 15.5"W x 18.5"D is only a medium sized cab which would fit easily in most sedans or hatchbacks.  Anything much larger gets bulky and a pain to move. So about 54 lbs for this bad boy MA112 with the 18 Sound driver? Outstanding! The relatively low 0.49mH inductance and 4.7 ohm DC resistance of the 12NLW9300 make me suspect its effective impedance is less than the 3012LF and the nominal 8 ohm rating through its main power band.  More slam from your amp.  If 350 watts is enough to make it sound real solid then the 800-900 watt heads which are rated 400-500 watts rms into 8 ohms should be a good match.  This should make a lot of micro owners happy to get this kind of sound with their existing head.  I assume this still has that crazy wide dispersion?

I want one of these...     Vortex
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Wed May 21, 2014 1:32 am

Yep---Steve and Tom improved the waveguide so that while the tonal profile changes in vertical position the votexitudinality is uncompromised. Same dispersion.And with the 112 that tonal profile yields better low end  balance. I ran it horizontally and thought that it was a bit too skewed toward the lows. But---if I was playing outside at say a big festival---horizontal could be advantageous.

The cool thing is that I think that I could actually hear myself more easily with the 112. Better in the close nearfield with the mids firing right at you. The neat thing about the MVW cabs is that you would think "ok--cool--the mids are firing up at you. So you can hear better in the nearfield. But now there must be a compromise in the audience's and bandmates ability to hear you". Nope. All of the crossfiring and integration of the front and rear waves seem to take the entire sound front and project it all over the damn place.

For me it's critical with the 5" and 6" based cabs---if they're on the ground---to tilt them up. You lose virtually no low end coupling and can hear the mids and highs much better. It's just that with the 112 (and the upcoming 115) that it's part of the initial design.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Wed May 21, 2014 1:50 am

Also---here's how it's going to go---

The MA112 will be available as a 4 ohm cab with custom 4 ohm 3012LF's. That way ANY amp can drive it to the point of destruction. $875 and you can drive it with anything and it will compete head-to-head with any 212, super 15 or 410.

It will be available in an 8 ohm cab with the 18 Sound. The physical presence with the 18 Sound is insane. I think we'll have to post a surgeon general's warning against people with heart conditions and pregnant women using it. And that protective headgear is advisable. $975.

$50 for corner wheels and the handle. The Ciare tweet will also be an option.

Starting in on the MA115 tomorrow. It uses the Faital 15HP1060 1000watt woof and six Faital 4 inchers. Dimensions are 42 high x 19 1/2 wide and 24 deep. Likely around 75#. Yeah---I know---fridge size. But half the weight. And almost as much volume as two fridges. It will waste anything with two Kappalie 3015LF's. Eminence has revamped the specs on the Kappalite 3015 LF. They now say that the QTS is actually .46. That's sealed box territory. It means that in a reflex box the 3015LF is pretty mushy. I think that it's a loose, flabby sounding driver. Warm but flabby. The Faital will have tons more control and impact. Yeah--I may not sell many but it'll be a fun project.

JGR
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by JGR on Thu May 22, 2014 11:57 am

Mike, glad to see you're still going to build the monster cab!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:45 pm