Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

Small cabinet solution for electric bass

mahei

Small cabinet solution for electric bass

Post by mahei on Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:18 pm

Mike, I sent you a PM, but I thought I'd ask here as others might be interested too.

Could you please give us the basic info on the most portable Big E cabs suitable for electric bass - Thinking about the MAS 2x6 and the M109 in particular.

Price / weight / estimated performance?

Thanks!

Mark
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: Small cabinet solution for electric bass

Post by mikearnopol on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:39 pm

The 109 is big. 28 x 13 x 14. It's designed to offer Big E sound at a competitive price. (it's $575---it was supposed to be $550 but we thought two tweeters were better) As loud as a 210. The other MAS speakers may beat it in different ways sonically---but much less so than I thought. The compromise was a little larger enclosure to get every ounce of low end out of it.
    I think that for electric the smallest option would be the 26. 26" x 15" x 13 1/2" and around 27#. It will compete with a standard 210. (the most expensive 210's might edge it out by a bit)
    It has two of the Faital 3" drivers. The MAS26 and MAS 45 are $750.

I don't recommend the 45 as a stand alone electric cab. It competes with the 26 as far as volume but doesn't have the extension. Not good with 5 string. It does come into it's own as an EB cab when paired with the 110 sub. Then it's like having a 15" cab. Doublers love this as they'll bring just the 45 to an upright gig and add the sub on an electric gig.

The new 26's and 46's are an improvement over the previous versions. Louder, lower, and more articulate.

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:44 am