Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

new version of the 46

mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

new version of the 46

Post by mikearnopol on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:02 pm

Just received 52 6 1/2 drivers. Built a new 46 cab based on very recent revisions. Compared it to the 46 with the Faital 3's that Duke did the xover for. There were no tweets (I just wanted to check out the cab). It's a lot better than that 46. Significantly louder before giving up the game. More low end power and midrange clarity. It's going to Duke tomorrow for yet another xover. This will have three Faital 3's and on Ciare tweeter. 26 x 15 x 13 and about 42#.

It was happy keeping up with A fEARless F115---went as loud but much better articulation and low end authority. The fEARless sounded a bit thin and anemic by comparison.
    Harley Dear
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: new version of the 46

Post by Harley Dear on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm

mikearnopol wrote:This will have three Faital 3's and on Ciare tweeter. 26 x 15 x 13 and about 42#.

Not sure I understand this Mike. Are you saying it will have for tweeters 3 x Faital 3's plus one Ciare?  

What do you mean by about 42#?

mikearnopol wrote:The fEARless sounded a bit thin and anemic by comparison.
    Blasphemy - sheer blasphemy  bounce Very Happy
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:47 pm

The Faital 3's are phenomenal but the Ciare gives it a bit more zip up top.The Ciare will hande from 10k up. Also--I wanted to use three of the 3's because I can get a 2.67 ohm impedance---it gives a bit more xover flexibility. A 4 ohm amp will have no problem with 2.67 at that low power. That way I can have the option of a hotter midrange and the ability to use a pad switch to bring it close to flat.

42# is the cab weight.
    Harley Dear
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Harley Dear on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks Mike.  I didn't equate the "hash key" (#) with pounds.  Is that common in the USA to do that?
    BigE
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by BigE on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:07 am

Very common use. So much so until twitter it was known as the pound sign here in the USA. It still bothers me to here it called a hash tag, that seems weird.

Last edited by BigE on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 pm

OK

Duke did the crossover and the cab went to Steve for some "cabinet tuning"

Built up the xover and put the drivers in.

As the Japanese would write it phonetically--"Hori Sumoku!!!"

The previous 46's were a bit scooped in the mids with a bit too much upper bass/lower mids.

The new one---whoa! Balanced mids, nice musical zing on top, the lowest -3db point of virtually any bass cab.

It hits incredibly hard in the low end, but the rest of it keeps up.

The only problem now---I think guys are going to dig it so much that I'll have to make a buy of 8 ohm drivers so guys can run 2 cabs. (I made the decision to go with a 4 ohm cab initially)

Off to Mark Sachetti and the Gerald Veasley bass camp.

Oh--and it sounds killin' with upright.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 pm

Just tweeked the crossover a bit. Got rid of a touch of siblence. It now rivals my 45 as a dual purpose cab. Played a bunch of music through it. Beautiful mids and highs---and kicks like a mule in the low end.
    Harley Dear
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Harley Dear on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:30 am

mikearnopol wrote:Just tweeked the crossover a bit. Got rid of a touch of siblence. It now rivals my 45 as a dual purpose cab. Played a bunch of music through it. Beautiful mids and highs---and kicks like a mule in the low end.
    Tom has issued the final SKPs, but there was no accompanying crossover diagramme. Will this be issued shortly so we have the latest version and Leland has the BOM for it?
    BigE
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by BigE on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 pm

Leland will be the primary resource for crossovers and should be getting me copies pretty soon. Then I should have them available. Still compiling. Just a note on MAS-46 tweet panel does not have holes as he was doing different arrangements. But I think he is down to one now and we will do a rev1 for that as soon as I know for sure. But that is the primary cab finnished with tuning holes required and yes it is asymmetric.

coyoteboy
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by coyoteboy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:44 pm

So are the faital mids open to the vortex in the rear, or separate chamber?

can't wait to hear the latest version 26.

Cool 
    BigE
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by BigE on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:55 pm

The 3" are in a separate chamber as the biggers woofs would just beat them up. They do however still get incorporated into the ouput and carried throughout the room.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:54 pm