Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

Rumor has it.

Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Rumor has it.

Post by Leland Crooks on Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:58 am

Rumor has it that there are 4 GC28 cabs currently in the Columbus Ohio area. 2 GC28c's, and 2 prototype GC28's. Specifically they took over an outdoor gig where the normal rig is 2 dual 12" cabs per side.

Drop me a line if you want to hear them. It can be arranged.
    Doug Hart
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: Rumor has it.

Post by Doug Hart on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:31 am

I heard that rumor also. I understand that jaws are still on the floor
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 pm

I also hear a rumor that those were no ordinary dual 12's. They were in fact a very popular and acclaimed big name line array units.affraid 

kmaynardsound

Post by kmaynardsound on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 pm

It's not a rumor. I had the pleasure of getting two GC28c's and two GC28's for demonstration for a sound company in Columbus, Ohio. The gig takes place every home game of the Ohio State Buckeyes and the venue is right across the street from the stadium. It's a great location for OSU tailgaters and it is one hell of a tailgate party. The band has literally played there for the past twenty seven years. Yes, The Danger Brothers have been together that long. I have been their sound man for the past nine years.

When I first got these cabs, I thought to myself that these things were just not going to be able to cut the mustard. So, I told the owner of the sound company, on the day of the show, that just in case these things wouldn't do the job we should stack them on the top of his stack and just change them over to his if we had to. His stack consists of two JBL SRX 700 tops which are duel 12's and a horn and two JBL MRX 500 subs duel eighteens on each side. He gets some height on the tops by adding some road cases on top of the subs then adding the tops on that. So, the height of the JBL's are probably ten feet. With the Big E's on top of that mess, we were at about twelve feet high. We powered the GC28's with a single Crown XTI4000 limited to 1000 watts and 85 volts at 8 ohms per side.

The sound check proceeded. Whenever I am the guest sound man, I usually have the sound company set all the levels on the FOH console during the soundcheck. I think it makes the owner of the sound company feel good about everything and it makes him feel like he's a part of the band. Then I take over; hehe! He would always Eq his system with a 3 db cut from 2k to 4k and .3k to .4k. When we were done with the soundcheck, the Eq was flat and it stayed that way throughout the show. I didn't have to change it. We only used the Big E's. His stack was not on. We didn't use his stuff. His pricey JBL's were speaker stands for the Big E's! These things carried the show. WOW.

The day was painfully cold (29 degrees at 30 mph gusts), and there was still about 1500 people there. Tailgaters; I don't get it. Anyway, the promoter provided me with a 125000 BTU torpedo heater and it was about 4 feet behind me, ROAR. There is also another tailgate party going on behind me at about 30 feet away. BOOM BOOM BOOM. With all of that sh*t going on, I was still able to hear the GC28's cut through better than the muddy comb filtering JBL's. I did wish I had another GC28 per side, however, as that would have given me the headroom that I needed. I was tickling the limiter for most of the show.  

My crew was telling me that they really sounded great, and they did. When I did my usual walk-arounds, I noticed how natural sounding these cabs were. There was not the usual complicated coloring of the sound that I am used to hearing from other speakers at this price level. These boxes are truly unique. When I was on break, I was standing behind one of the stacks and realized that the high end didn't vanish like you would expect from cabs that have your normal 90 degree dispersion. Leland told me that these things have a 140 degree dispersion pattern. Unbelievable, but I did notice it. That's one of those things that a sound man would notice but a regular listener wouldn't.  If anyone wants to hear these great cabs, I will demo them for you. I know you won't believe your ears. I live in Dayton, Ohio, but I am in Columbus, Ohio on a daily basis. Call me or Leland and I will be glad to demo these for you.

Last edited by kmaynardsound on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

Nice report. Always best to get it first hand.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 pm

There are two kinds of people: Skeptics and those who have heard an MVW loudspeaker. I've been both. Nice review, thanks.
    bounce 

kmaynardsound

Post by kmaynardsound on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:13 am

I met a guy at this gig that was on the stage crew and he saw the speakers on our truck and was asking some questions about them. I didn't realize it until then that he is an experienced sound man and provides sound services for four different churches. I talked to him on the phone yesterday for a good while and I do believe I will be doing a demo at his main church possibly by next week. Here is a link to an article that I found about the church that shows the inside of sanctuary. The picture is taken from the balcony. It has 45 foot ceilings and will seat 1000. If you look on either side of the stage you can see what they have for a speaker system. He told me that they are single 12's with a horn and the bottoms are two single 18's. He said they are very old and were made by SURE...what! Anyway he said that he would like to here the MVW's in the church. Any input that you guys have would of course be appreciated.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/06/05/lighthouse-church-for-sale.html
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:15 am

It does not look nearly that big in the picture.  Start with one GC28c on each side, just to show how badly they will kill that 12 with a horn.  Then stack the GC28c's on one side, the GC 28's on the other, to minimize the phase interaction at 2k when you run them together. Optimum for this would be a pair of GC28c's per side.  If you can figure out a way to aim the cabs, put a 28c covering the main floor, a GC28 above it aimed up at the balcony, higher than the C's.  That should minimize the path differential between the tweeters.  

A pair of RachÉ 18's would kill it.  A pair of RachÉ 15's would be enough unless they want club level thump.  Then you'd need 4 for some headroom.  

A suggestion depending on how far away it is would be a pair of fill GC25E's or GC25V's in the balcony, delayed.  It very well might not be necessary.  I know in our local auditorium which seats 1200 they are not with 28's running.  The balcony is covered just fine. But it also has excellent acoustics.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:43 am

Don't over-think this. An up-splay could cause adverse vortex interactions. Stick to the basics. Stack a couple of cabinets as high as possible. With a vertical dispersion of about 40 degrees the top of the array only needs to be as high as the balcony level. then aim the stack. Put the MVW to the test. They should cover the balcony without the need for a complex deployment.

If for some reason that doesn't work then it will be time to get more complex.

Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:00 pm

For instance: A trapped WT series cabinet could be added to the top of the array for upward splay. This is s tested and approved alignment

Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:02 am

Steve Regier wrote:For instance: A trapped WT series cabinet could be added to the top of the array for upward splay. This is s tested and approved alignment
    But, but, but, I hate making trapped cabs. Wile E 

And you're right.
    870skitzofrenzy
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by 870skitzofrenzy on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:05 pm

^ lol!

kmaynardsound

Post by kmaynardsound on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm

here is a youtube video someone took of the OSU tailgate party in Columbus Ohio that is right across the street from the stadium. The Danger Brothers did every home game for 27 years there. It is the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Hotel. The 13 story hotel was literally transformed into one big giant OSU party.
    I was running sound for this show. If you look close when the camera pans to the audience you may be able to make out the tent in the middle where I was. A not so cool place to be because that night I had to push people off of me. OSU beat Michigan and if I remember right that was for the championship that year. The P.A. we used was a MT4 system four stacks a side. The guy that owns them is a freind of mine and he owns 24 of these monsters. This is what he uses when he is providing sound for a big southern rock band called Jackal. Anyway this party is crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTvAxBNQsRU

and this one from the stage that night, If you look close enough you can see bra's hanging in front of the keyboardist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8nEwBUGf0

and this is just down the the street where we do the gigs now because the university bought the Holiday Inn and turned it into a dorm. Its alot smaller but still pretty cool, after all it's right across the street from the stadium. This is where I demoed the GC28's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuDywTsDgWw

Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:46 am

Nice party!
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Crazy

Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:33 am

Another rumor from Columbus. A church demo at which the parishoners couldn't stop dancing in the aisles. This time with RachÉ subwoofers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:48 pm