Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

What exactly do you want to know ?

Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

What exactly do you want to know ?

Post by Steve Regier on Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:59 pm

... about the MVW technology. Tom and I are preparing the informational article for Bass Gear Magazine. What do you want to know? Put another way: what do you want us to reveal? I'll put this out front right now: We will cover theory of operation and cabinet architecture. We will not discuss the specific formulas for construction.Vortex 

Doug Hart
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: What exactly do you want to know ?

Post by Doug Hart on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:12 pm

What issue is the article going to be in?
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:06 pm

My understanding is that the article is slated for the January 2014 issue.

coyoteboy
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by coyoteboy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 am

Im curious about the implementation of high frequency elements and the reasons behind the decision to "rear fire" or "front fire" these elements. Both implementations appear in current designs, correct?

Do the front fired elements benefit from mvw, or does the vortex action merely stop above a certain frequency?

Also posted a question in mikes 46 thread in this section, but it may not directly regard the MVW technology. :-)
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:24 am

I can answer this one to a degree. If the tweeter has enough output to keep up with the main drivers by rear firing into the vortex, that's the preferred method, at least in my cabs. The vortex carries the hf out the waveguides, increasing the spaciousness and air of the sound. There are losses, so in the bigger driver cabs we use a center fired horn, the tweets just don't have enough oomph firing into the vortex. I have tested doubling them up, and it works, but increases the cost of the cabs too much. The losses are why the rear fired tweeter is only used in the 5's. It won't keep up with the eights, and is just not quite enough with the 6's. 6's are still under revision though, and that might change.

The front horn and front firing tweeters do benefit from the vortex shedding of the cabs. It does pick it up and carry it. Just not quite to the degree of the rear fired.

coyoteboy
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by coyoteboy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks Leland. Im officially saving for a 26 now.
    rich4349
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by rich4349 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:05 am

While I've heard the cabs in person, and love their super clarity, I'm still iffy on all of the "vortexitudity" etc (I guess that's why it's so good the article is coming out!).
    How much blind (double or otherwise) testing has been done? What other kinds of testing has been done? Impulse? I'm not bashing, I just can't believe the MVW effect can't be explained by known, established audio properties. Maybe once the patents are granted well find our more.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:38 am

Good questions.

lo-freq
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by lo-freq on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Steve Regier wrote:Good questions.
    ...Said Master Po (from Kung Fu TV series).
    Smile 

I would think a generalized recommendation regarding cabinet size to venue size might be helpful.
    Maybe not for the Bass Gear review, but for the website here.
    With regards to bass cabs & PA stuff would be what I would like to know.
    For instance, I've heard that the bigger subwoofers open up better in venues that are not too confining.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Yes, guidelines for utilization would be a good idea and in some cases essential. This would very important for those like myself who have a tenancy to "go big". It has taken some time to overcome that tendency and get into the "right tool for the job" mentality. We have found this to be more critical with MVW tops than MVW subs. With the subs, for the most part, if they are too big for the venue the greatest consequence will be a loss of efficiency. The more critical issue is with tops. Too much or too many in a venue will result in poor performance since the MVW effect requires some power to generate. We are in the process of documenting the products in varying venues. My hard-and-fast rule is if I can not bring the stack of cabinets up to at least half power for the desired SPL then I have too much gear set and I need to reduce. Better yet: Start small and add as needed.

lo-freq
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by lo-freq on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Steve Regier wrote:Yes, guidelines for utilization would be a good idea and in some cases essential. This would very important for those like myself who have a tenancy to "go big". It has taken some time to overcome that tendency and get into the "right tool for the job" mentality. We have found this to be more critical with MVW tops than MVW subs. With the subs, for the most part, if they are too big for the venue the greatest consequence will be a loss of efficiency. The more critical issue is with tops. Too much or too many in a venue will result in poor performance since the MVW effect requires some power to generate. We are in the process of documenting the products in varying venues. My hard-and-fast rule is if I can not bring the stack of cabinets up to at least half power for the desired SPL then I have too much gear set and I need to reduce. Better yet: Start small and add as needed.
    Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:49 am