Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

Arnopol's Crazy 88 vs MA-28(optional f) series

codygibson2

Arnopol's Crazy 88 vs MA-28(optional f) series

Post by codygibson2 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:18 am

I was ready to buy a Crazy 88 + a Crazy 8 as a potent rig for my anticipated transplantation from Flawrida to NYC, but this Big E business is ruffling my feathers... That being said, I play half of my gigs on electric, and the other half on upright. (The Thunderchild 115 is a dream!..but it wouldn't be the ideal cab for a 4 flight walk-up.) The Crazy 8 would handle my upright gigs, but for the big beach bar electric gigs that I do over in the Redneck Riviera of Panama City Beach, I suspect a C88 + C8 would be swell.

If you'd be so kind, please help differentiate the Crazy series from the MA-28 series. The Crazy houses a Faital PR800. The MA-28F houses a Faital driver as well: is it the same that's in the Crazy?

GK Breivik
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Re: Arnopol's Crazy 88 vs MA-28(optional f) series

Post by GK Breivik on Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:41 am

I'd probably go with either a 25 and a 45, or two MA-26 (one for upright, two for electric) if I were in your shoes. The 2x8 Big Es are quite a bit larger, I think.

Mike will sort you out.
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:51 pm

As one of the co-designers of the Crazy 8 and 88 I believe I can give an objective opinion.

The Big E's bury the Crazy 8/88's.

As a direct comparison I'd say a MAS25 and a MAS45. Theses are essentially the same volume as the 8/88. They'd be MUCH bigger in sound, better dispersion and in general---MUCH better performance.

I have an 8 and 88 here. I haven't used them in nearly a year. The Big E's are THAT much better.

My strongest recommendation for a doubler is either a 25 or 45 with the 110 sub. It will go the same volume as the TC115 but with much better extension and sound.

The 25 is 21 1/2wide x 8 high x 11deep and weighs about 15#
    The 45 is 21 1/2 x   15 x 11 and weighs around 30#
    The 110 sub is 26 x 13 x 14 and weighs about 32#

The 8/88 combo is not as strong on electric as the 25/45.

The 45/110 is uber powerful presentation for electric. And very flat/hifi sound with a big but super controlled bass.

I think that these combinations are better for your needs than the 6" or 8" based cabs.

The 45 is quickly gaining a reputation as the best upright cab. Pair it with a 110 and you have a fabulous electric setup. On reason I recommend the 45 over the 25---the 25 is great for duo/trio gigs on upright. The 45 will handle virtually any upright gig and not-too-loud electric gigs. Add the 110 sub and you're competitive with most 15's or 410's.

Last edited by mikearnopol on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Harley Dear
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Harley Dear on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:18 am

mikearnopol wrote:The 45 is quickly gaining a reputation as the best upright cab. Pair it with a 45 and you have a fabulous electric setup....
    Did you mean pait it with a 110....?
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:19 pm

yep---oops
    codygibson2

Post by codygibson2 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:33 pm

I do all sorts of slapping on electric and upright, and admittedly, I sometimes play too aggressively(when you're busking around loud outdoor areas with 6 horn players and a snare, there's not much else to do at that point than to invoke my inner Wellman Braud and Pops Foster...), and it seems that the 8s would react better to aggressive technique than 5s or 6s. No?

The Crazy 8s and 88s ended up with a flared rear port in the final stages of development. Is there a reason that the MA series doesn't have rear-ported tubing? Also, could you comment on my original question if the MA-28 series use the same Faital drivers as are in the Crazy 88 series?

Your 110(which I don't see listed on the catalog) is practically the same size as the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 112. I look forward to the specs once they're posted.
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:56 pm

I'll let Mike comment on the "reactiveness" question. The MAS 8series uses a custom OEM driver not shared with any other design at this time. The MAS MVW cabinets are NOT ported reflex boxes and the output flare configuration is integral with the driver baffle architecture.  What information, exactly, are you seeking concerning the rear port on the Crazy series?

mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by mikearnopol on Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:15 pm

codygibson2 wrote:I do all sorts of slapping on electric and upright, and admittedly, I sometimes play too aggressively(when you're busking around loud outdoor areas with 6 horn players and a snare, there's not much else to do at that point than to invoke my inner Wellman Braud and Pops Foster...), and it seems that the 8s would react better to aggressive technique than 5s or 6s. No?

The Crazy 8s and 88s ended up with a flared rear port in the final stages of development. Is there a reason that the MA series doesn't have rear-ported tubing? Also, could you comment on my original question if the MA-28 series use the same Faital drivers as are in the Crazy 88 series?

Your 110(which I don't see listed on the catalog) is practically the same size as the Audiokinesis Thunderchild 112. I look forward to the specs once they're posted.
    The   Big E speakers are an entirely different design than a bass reflex cab like the Crazy 8/88. The reason that I'm not using the same 8 as the 8/88 is that it doesn't handle aggressive electric bass well. Which is why we went with the custom 8's.

The  5's are unbelievably great with upright and if paired with the 110 sub give an amazing electric sound and can can handle the volume/power of a 15 or 410.And be as aggressive as you like. And if you need to go uber loud---get another 110 sub. Then you'll be louder than an SVT 810 with MUCH better lows and clarity like you've never heard. And they'll do grunge too.

The 110 is only a sub. That speaker is pretty uselees full range. But in a Big E box---it goes lower than a 15. We just compared it to a fEARful 15/6. Went as loud with a stronger low end.

I probably make more dough building Crazy 8's/88's than the MAS Big E speakers. But I have to be honest--the Big E's are WAY better. A crazy 8/88 will fart out on electric.
    codygibson2

Post by codygibson2 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Reading is humbling... after thoroughly reading multiple pages on this site, and while I still realize that I know nothing, I comprehend a little more about these innovative designs. Is there a waiting line for ordering a MAS series of cabinets? Or a scheduled release date?

As a sub, I use a box with a deltalite 15. To start, I'd like to set a cab on top of it. So, the MAS25/45 is equivalent to the C8/88. How does the MAS-28 compare to the 25, or 45?

I inquired about porting because I'm moderately familiar with it. You answered my question with the response, "The MAS MVW cabinets are NOT ported reflex boxes and the output flare configuration is integral with the driver baffle architecture."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 am