Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

welcome to Talkbass members

MarkA
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Re: welcome to Talkbass members

Post by MarkA on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks for the answer and background info!  

Your mention of the kanji for "big" flashed me back to a book I had as a little kid, titled "You Can Read Chinese".  Pretty rudimentary picture book, but fun!  One of the first pictograms introduced was that for "big" (the book did get into a few basic combinations).  Didn't make the connection with the logo, but I see it now!

EDIT: On the associative power of images: When I read a post of yours, I see it delivered by the painting of Teddy Roosevelt that serves as your avatar, which colors how I read it! I don't look much like Spock, but I feel an affinity with the character -- was considering him for an avatar, anyway, and the Enterprise references seem a serendipitous prompt to go ahead with that!
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Make it so...

arjank
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by arjank on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:22 am

mikearnopol wrote:The 3015lf was originally listed as a QTS of .34 I think. They have revised that figure to .46. This IMO is way too high for a reflex box. It kindof validated my perception---it didn't sound like a .34 QTS. Way too diffuse.

+1

IMO and IME something between 0.30 and 0.37 is the optimum for bassreflex. Below 0.30 you need some EQ to boost those lows(or use horn-loading) and above 0.40 you really need to lower the tuning to stay away from sloppy/boomy performance.
    MarkA
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by MarkA on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:13 am

I'm not sure where to post this, since it doesn't have to do with a specific Big E speaker, but Mike said in the TB thread something like, "I've got to get a 112 into the hands of [forget who].  I've got to get a Flex into the hands of Anthony Jackson."  I wonder if there's a cab or system of cabs the Big E Celebrity Outreach Department would like to get to this guy?  I posted this in the TB thread as well -- Mike Gordon of Phish.  He has a very involved and specifically-purposed rig. A few things caught my ear when he talked about it: 1) how the sound changes off to the side (though narrow dispersion might be in part intentional, since he also mentions avoiding bleeding into the drum mics) 2)how he uses three or four separate cabs just to cover the range of his bass 3)each cab is individually EQed and time-aligned (he really is running his own PA).
    Feral Feline

Post by Feral Feline on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Greetings free-thinking people!

Don't know exactly where to start so...

Here's my "crudentials":

- I decide to take up double-bass and

- Join RockabillyBass.com, my first ever forum. It gets sold and watered down as DoublebassChat.com (now defunct, basically killed off by FecalBrook/[miss?]management).

- I hear of TB on RaBB, though not in a good light I join TB anyway. TB gets new forum software and the ban-hunt starts in earnest and escalates, ever-gaining momentum.

- I join MAS today in hopes of getting updates on the cultivation of a bass amp MA is helping some north-of-the-49th-Farmers get a bumper crop.

I've lurked around here in the past and will continue to lurk-in from time-to-time. I may even attempt humour at times, 'cause that's all I got to offer (and some would disagree at that).

Since our collective art (making: music, cabs, amps, pedals etc) is an aural one, my first attempt/offering of humour is this joke my fiddler friend told me:

Fergus, fearing his wife Meagan is going deaf and indeed she seems touchy about the topic when he tries to broach it, calls on the village Doctor to discuss and determine the degree of his wife's hearing loss.

"Here's what you do, Fergus" says the Doc, "When next Meagan is in the kitchen, go to yer sittin' room on the far side of yer cottage, if I recall correctly from the last ceilidh held at yours, 'tis 'bout 40-feet apart – now, using yer normal conversational tone of voice ask her a question to see if she hears you. If not, try again from the parlour, 'tis maybe 20 feet, still no? – Then the hall from 10 feet, and keep halving the distance on into the kitchen until you get her to respond."

Fergus returns home and early that evening his wife ventures in to the kitchen to prepare dinner, so Fergus goes to the sitting room at the opposite end of the cottage and standing as far away from the doorway as possible asks in a calm conversational tone: "Meagan my Luv, what's for dinner?"

No response.

So Fergus moves into the main parlour and at what he figures is about 20-feet from his wife in the kitchen and asks at an even, normal volume: "Meagan, what're you makin' fer dinner?'

Still no reply.

Fergus moves into the far end of the hallway where he is about 10-feet from his Wife and enquires: "What's on the menu tonight, my luv?"

Again Fergus' query is unanswered.

By now he's hungry and genuinely wants to know what's for dinner and he goes to the kitchen door, about 5-feet away from his wife who's back is turned to him as she stirs something on the stove. Fergus asks her: " 'Allo luv, whatcha makin'?

She does not even turn to acknowledge him.

So Fergus walks right up behind her: "Smells good, luv, what's in the pot?"

His wife wheels around on him: "Fer heaven's sake Fergus! For the FIFTH bloody time, LAMB STEW!"

Cheers,
    FF
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by Steve Regier on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:05 pm

OK,  that's it!  Humor belongs in Mike's Tattoo parlor thread. You're banned....

Just kidding, welcome to the forum. Lurk at will and contribute as you must.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:37 am