Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology


    welcome to Talkbass members

    Share
    avatar
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by mikearnopol on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:59 pm

    Just wanted to welcome Talkbass members logging in here. First of all---I've got no issues with Talkbass. They try really hard to be fair and they just interpreted some of my posts as self-promotion. We're in a bit of a gray area and I respect their perspective.

    In the future I'll be doing more in-depth posting here.
    I'll still have the same presence on TB. What I was trying to do on TB was to give kindof a running commentary on the design and implementation process. I'll get much more specific here.

    I'll post recent developments tonight.
    avatar
    lo-freq
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 22
    Join date : 2013-09-03
    Age : 66
    Location : Fort Worth -- That's my hood!

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by lo-freq on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:26 pm

    Hey Mike,

    The talkbass thing was unfortunate, but misunderstandings can happen.
    Just a blip on the road of life, eh?
    I've always appreciated your contributions there.

    I have had a very low level of churn in my bass gear compared to a lot on TB, but I'm always interested in keeping up with what is going on in the world of bass equipment & the Big E stuff seems like amazing leap forward in the loudspeaker arena.

    I expect great products from you guys & hope to someday be in a position to buy some.

    Best regards,
    John Harris (aka lo-freq)
    avatar
    BigE
    Inventor
    Inventor

    Posts : 157
    Join date : 2013-02-08

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by BigE on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:39 pm

    Hey John just wanted to stop in here and welcome the new TalkBass members arriving here and by all means ask whatever you want. Some things are still close to the vest but many more things are much more open to discussion now.

    But remember to try and listen to them if you get the chance. They really are a bit different. You can even ask mirror questions as you would on TalkBass here no problem.

    Once again guys (Gals) ask away and Welcome to BigE Forums home of MAS Speakerworks Bass Cabinets.
    avatar
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

    Posts : 749
    Join date : 2013-02-07
    Location : Planet Tesla just outside the time stream

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Steve Regier on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:32 pm

    BigE wrote:Hey John just wanted to stop in here and welcome the new TalkBass members arriving here and by all means ask whatever you want. Some things are still close to the vest but many more things are much more open to discussion now.

    But remember to try and listen to them if you get the chance. They really are a bit different. You can even ask mirror questions as you would on TalkBass here no problem.

    Once again guys (Gals) ask away and Welcome to BigE Forums home of MAS Speakerworks Bass Cabinets.
    +1
    We also welcome skeptics. If you are a skeptic or just was to air out some stuff there is a forum for that:The Nelson  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]


    _________________
    Co-Inventor of the Manipulated Vortex Waveguide
    "So let it be written. So let it be done."
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    Badong

    Posts : 11
    Join date : 2013-09-03

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Badong on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 pm

    Hello everybody!  Glad you have another venue for discussing the cabs.

    Just received word from Gollihur that my new Acoustic Image Clarus 4+ has shipped.  Should arrive Friday. I'm really looking forward to pairing this up with my MAS45.bounce 
    avatar
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

    Posts : 749
    Join date : 2013-02-07
    Location : Planet Tesla just outside the time stream

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Steve Regier on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:46 pm

    Badong wrote:Hello everybody!  Glad you have another venue for discussing the cabs.

    Just received word from Gollihur that my new Acoustic Image Clarus 4+ has shipped.  Should arrive Friday. I'm really looking forward to pairing this up with my MAS45.bounce 
    Welcome! We look forward to your review.


    _________________
    Co-Inventor of the Manipulated Vortex Waveguide
    "So let it be written. So let it be done."
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    lo-freq
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 22
    Join date : 2013-09-03
    Age : 66
    Location : Fort Worth -- That's my hood!

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by lo-freq on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:29 pm

    BigE wrote:Hey John just wanted to stop in here and welcome the new TalkBass members arriving here and by all means ask whatever you want. Some things are still close to the vest but many more things are much more open to discussion now.

    But remember to try and listen to them if you get the chance. They really are a bit different. You can even ask mirror questions as you would on TalkBass here no problem.

    Once again guys (Gals) ask away and Welcome to BigE Forums home of MAS Speakerworks Bass Cabinets.
    Thanks!

    I'm really interested in the PA & home audio side of things as well.
    avatar
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 542
    Join date : 2013-02-08
    Location : Kansas

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Leland Crooks on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:59 am

    lo-freq wrote:I'm really interested in the PA & home audio side of things as well.
    Prepare to have your mind blown. I've yet to audition these for anyone who didn't leave their jaw on the floor.
    avatar
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

    Posts : 749
    Join date : 2013-02-07
    Location : Planet Tesla just outside the time stream

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Steve Regier on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:01 pm

    I spoke with Mike yesterday. We made a minor change in the MAS110 Flex. The crossover point mimics that of the 210 now. Mike reports that the 110 now sounds like the little brother of the 210. We both agreed that the 210 in it's final incarnation sounded better and had a more useable phase switch. So we made the change. Mike and I have also discussed the creation of a 110S module that could be added to the 110Flex when needed...developing.

    I tried calling Mike earlier today and could not reach him. He is undoubtedly working furiuosly getting all those Flex cabinets finished and ready to ship.bounce


    _________________
    Co-Inventor of the Manipulated Vortex Waveguide
    "So let it be written. So let it be done."
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    avatar
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by mikearnopol on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:46 pm

    I just had fellow TB'er Radbass over.

    I really like the 110 but when I heard the 210 it was like "Whoa"
    The phase switch on the 210 was much more useful. On the 110 it kindof emasculated the cab. Changed the xover point an the 110 and voila!
    Randy (Radbass) described it perfectly.The out of phase position is the most flat, hifi setting. Very cool when you go out of phase but use the darkest (-6db) setting. No boom or bloom but super focused. With the new xover the E and B string are unaffected by phase. So you can get a very neutral hifi sound but with the huge low end.

    I'm pretty stoked about the 110 sub with a crossover specifically designed to go with the 110 Flex.There is one of the sounds on the Flex 210 that the 110Flex/110 sub combination won't do, but in every other way it should come very close to the sound of the 210. For me, this is what I'd likely do. The 110 handily covers most of my gigs. For the few times that I need more I'll bring the sub.
    avatar
    Mark Sacchetti

    Posts : 10
    Join date : 2013-09-03
    Age : 61
    Location : Pittsburgh, PA

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Mark Sacchetti on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:30 pm

    Joined!
    I'm looking forward to the ongoing developments of this technology .
    More importantly I like Mike ! He's always been accessible, kind , and helpful.

    GK Breivik
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2013-09-04

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by GK Breivik on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:47 am

    Hey all! New member here, but an early adopter of this technology through Mike.

    Would the 110 sub be compatible with both the 45 and 110 flex?

    GK
    avatar
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 542
    Join date : 2013-02-08
    Location : Kansas

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Leland Crooks on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 am

    Welcome! How's the koolaid these days?

    GK Breivik
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2013-09-04

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by GK Breivik on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:45 am

    Sorry dude, I'm Norwegian and some slang words just aren't in my vocabulary. What do you mean by Koolaid? LOL!
    avatar
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by mikearnopol on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 am

    GK Breivik wrote:Hey all! New member here, but an early adopter of this technology through Mike.

    Would the 110 sub be compatible with both the 45 and 110 flex?

    GK
    It's crossover can be wired to work with both.

    GK Breivik
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2013-09-04

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by GK Breivik on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:15 am

    Cool, so perhaps it's possible to make it switchable too, then...

    Great to have this forum BTW, I've only been on TB a few months, but I'm growing tired of some of the noise and trolling already.
    avatar
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by mikearnopol on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31 am

    Yeah---it's useful but there are some petty politics going on. I'll be back on there next week. One thing I can say---the other speaker manufacturers are getting VERY intimidated by the Big E stuff.

    GK Breivik
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2013-09-04

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by GK Breivik on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:56 am

    Haha! As they WELL should. Like I've said before, this is a new world for a working musician.
    avatar
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

    Posts : 749
    Join date : 2013-02-07
    Location : Planet Tesla just outside the time stream

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Steve Regier on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:30 pm

    GK Breivik wrote:Sorry dude, I'm Norwegian and some slang words just aren't in my vocabulary. What do you mean by Koolaid? LOL!
    There was a cult here that drank tainted Koolaid prepared by their leader that lead to their demise. Some detractors of the MVW technology reject our claims outright and call the brave folks who investigate and report that there is something to the MVW "KoolAid Drinkers" in reference to the cult. The term is also used here in politics to refer to someone who follows blindly.

    So, by asking "How's the KoolAid?" He's making fun of the abusive detractors and greeting a member of the BigE MVW family.

    Did ya ever notice that when you stir the KoolAid real fast it creates a vortex? ....hmmmm.
    jocolor


    _________________
    Co-Inventor of the Manipulated Vortex Waveguide
    "So let it be written. So let it be done."
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    GK Breivik
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 27
    Join date : 2013-09-04

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by GK Breivik on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:49 pm

    Ah, I see! Well, anyone who have heard one of these in person will understand. That much is certain!

    I have v.1 of the 2x6 and the 4x6. I have played 40-50 gigs with these now, and it's a bit of a laugh to play supplied backline after being used to this technology.

    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 44
    Join date : 2013-05-06
    Age : 38
    Location : Missouri

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by 3rdcurve on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:14 pm

    My next decision will be which amp to pair with the 210 flex. Mike- you have heard both the Monquie and JGRs 6sl7 pre, which way should I go? I was leaning toward the JGR but like the option of an integrated 800 watt Demeter amp in the Monique.
    avatar
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by mikearnopol on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:53 pm

    To me the Monique is essentially a one tone preamp--I find that the tone controls don't do much. It's one of the greatest sounds on the planet, though.

    I'd go  with the JGR. The tone controls are much more useful and JGR's gone out of his way to address issues like subsonics and other problems.I feel that JGR's is a more finished product

    We are looking into an internal high powered digital amp in the future.(in  the speakers) Possibly one with DSP. There is a Danish company that looks really good---great quality and good prices. They make a module that's small and light and uses a digital power supply but a class AB output.Kindof like the early Markbass---but much more audiophile quality. I  liked these early Markbass amps more than the ones with the digital power output section.

    I'd bug JGR about an all tube amp.I bet it would be the best on the planet. I've never liked tubes with bass but the Big E's are so focused that they do really well with tubes.

    Not that I'd carry it around but when Tom Bowlus plugged in the Reeves and then plugged in my Tecamp it was a bit of a letdown. I think that the Tecamp is the best digital amp on the planet but that Reeves was the best thing I'd ever heard.
    avatar
    mikearnopol
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

    Posts : 177
    Join date : 2013-03-01

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by mikearnopol on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:59 pm

    Radbass from TB was over yesterday and here are his comments. By the way, he's an excellent bass maker, tech and has made numerous Greenboy speakers as well as designs of his own.His comments as posted on Talkbass ( he tried a 45, a new 45 with some design changes, 45 with sub, the 110Flex, 210Flex and and a prototype of a 46 with four 3" Faital cone mid tweets that go past 15khz)

    I stopped by Mike's place yesterday and have good news. The moderators are communicating with him and he was only banned for a week. I got to hear a bunch of what seems to be the final versions of the cabs and crossovers. The crossovers are impressive with frozen juice can sized caps and big, heavy wire torroidal chokes. Quality stuff. The 45's I still think have the sweetest most elegant sound I have heard, but when you pair them with a 10" sub, you get that sound plus enough low end and output to compete with any 3015 based cab or a good 4x10. A couple of chages to the 45 make it push the sound up towards your head and seem to make it slightly more efficient. Amazingly portable and flexible with the two @ 30 lb. cabs. The Flex 2x6.5 and 10" sub is still very portable @ 50 lbs. and smaller than I thought it would be. The switching system on this cab is magic! Without touching any EQ, you cab to get an accurate reproduction, to my ear, of an old 2x15 cab and by flipping the switches, get a clean studio monitor and many different sounds in between, including a grindy sort of sound that would be great for distortion. The high end can be crisp and clean or subdued, but always sweet and musical. Move the switches and it can go from mid forward to a great scooped slap sound. Seems to me to be about as loud as the 45 + 10" sub, but can get more aggressive. Now for the frightening part. The 2x10. The mids and tweeter and switching system are similar to the 1x10 only with two tweeters so it is as flexible as the 1x10 but the output of this cab is insane. The low end end feels like it could crack your sternum, but it still sounds sweet and clear. Mike turn it way up and beat on my Precision and my hearing started cutting out. I have never heard a single cab that has this much output , including my fridge and any high end 4x10. All of these cabs sound wonderful and have that incredable Big E projection and ability to sound huge with out getting boomy. Best sound I've heard.

    3rdcurve
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

    Posts : 44
    Join date : 2013-05-06
    Age : 38
    Location : Missouri

    Amp

    Post by 3rdcurve on Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:44 pm

    mikearnopol wrote:To me the Monique is essentially a one tone preamp--I find that the tone controls don't do much. It's one of the greatest sounds on the planet, though.

    I'd go  with the JGR. The tone controls are much more useful and JGR's gone out of his way to address issues like subsonics and other problems.I feel that JGR's is a more finished product

    We are looking into an internal high powered digital amp in the future.(in  the speakers) Possibly one with DSP. There is a Danish company that looks really good---great quality and good prices. They make a module that's small and light and uses a digital power supply but a class AB output.Kindof like the early Markbass---but much more audiophile quality. I  liked these early Markbass amps more than the ones with the digital power output section.

    I'd bug JGR about an all tube amp.I bet it would be the best on the planet. I've never liked tubes with bass but the Big E's are so focused that they do really well with tubes.

    Not that I'd carry it around but when Tom Bowlus plugged in the Reeves and then plugged in my Tecamp it was a bit of a letdown. I think that the Tecamp is the best digital amp on the planet but that Reeves was the best thing I'd ever heard.

    Thanks Mike, I have definitely tried nudging him into the full tube realm.
    avatar
    Steve Regier
    Inventor
    Inventor

    Posts : 749
    Join date : 2013-02-07
    Location : Planet Tesla just outside the time stream

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Steve Regier on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:00 pm

    mikearnopol wrote:Radbass from TB was over yesterday and here are his comments. By the way, he's an excellent bass maker, tech and has made numerous Greenboy speakers as well as designs of his own.His comments as posted on Talkbass ( he tried a 45, a new 45 with some design changes, 45 with sub, the 110Flex, 210Flex and and a prototype of a 46 with four 3" Faital cone mid tweets that go past 15khz)

    I stopped by Mike's place yesterday and have good news. The moderators are communicating with him and he was only banned for a week. I got to hear a bunch of what seems to be the final versions of the cabs and crossovers. The crossovers are impressive with frozen juice can sized caps and big, heavy wire torroidal chokes. Quality stuff. The 45's I still think have the sweetest most elegant sound I have heard, but when you pair them with a 10" sub, you get that sound plus enough low end and output to compete with any 3015 based cab or a good 4x10. A couple of chages to the 45 make it push the sound up towards your head and seem to make it slightly more efficient. Amazingly portable and flexible with the two @ 30 lb. cabs. The Flex 2x6.5 and 10" sub is still very portable @ 50 lbs. and smaller than I thought it would be. The switching system on this cab is magic! Without touching any EQ, you cab to get an accurate reproduction, to my ear, of an old 2x15 cab and by flipping the switches, get a clean studio monitor and many different sounds in between, including a grindy sort of sound that would be great for distortion. The high end can be crisp and clean or subdued, but always sweet and musical. Move the switches and it can go from mid forward to a great scooped slap sound. Seems to me to be about as loud as the 45 + 10" sub, but can get more aggressive. Now for the frightening part. The 2x10. The mids and tweeter and switching system are similar to the 1x10 only with two tweeters so it is as flexible as the 1x10 but the output of this cab is insane. The low end end feels like it could crack your sternum, but it still sounds sweet and clear. Mike turn it way up and beat on my Precision and my hearing started cutting out. I have never heard a single cab that has this much output , including my fridge and any high end 4x10. All of these cabs sound wonderful and have that incredable Big E projection and ability to sound huge with out getting boomy. Best sound I've heard.
    It's really nice to hear Rad's review. Quite a bit of blood, sweat, and tears have gone into the Flex project. It was spawned after a meeting/cab audition with Rex Carroll, Benny, and Mike. We were sitting around talking cabinet ideas and it became,"...wouldn't it be cool it it did this...maybe we could make it modular...." Viola, the birth of the Flex series and the 110s sub module. It has been quite a ride from that moment to this but worth it. I enjoy hearing player's reviews and we take to heart suggestions for improvement. Everyone in the BigE MVW family wants the best possible experience of our technology by you, our extended family.

    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]


    _________________
    Co-Inventor of the Manipulated Vortex Waveguide
    "So let it be written. So let it be done."
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

    Sponsored content

    Re: welcome to Talkbass members

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 pm