Big E Loudspeakers

A Forum to discuss Big E Loudspeakers and the MVW technology

Yet another new venue to hear the insanity.

Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Yet another new venue to hear the insanity.

Post by Leland Crooks on Sun May 26, 2013 8:25 am

Also here in my home town on the evening of the 23rd Steve, Harley, Doug, Doug's helper Steve, his son Tristan, and my son Sam and I did a full install in the #2 house of the local movie palace. 10 2x5 surrounds, 3 CG46 theater models for LCR, and 2 (count 'em) 2 Rache18's for subs. Parsons Theatre

We still have to go back to tweak the dsp for the theater and correct the eq settings from the original cabs. Pretty stark contrast between the originals and the new cabs. The LCR originals are 2 12's in a ported cab about 4 ft tall, with a monstrous old compression horn on top. The GC46's look like play toys next to them. The original surrounds are 12's with a small horn. The new surrounds are 1/2 the size.

How was it? Really good, even with running the dsp settings for the original cabs. Better than the originals, not close to what it will be when we get the dsp corrected. That's tonight's project. Dr Psycho Boom has been studying the control software for the theater so we don't accidentally screw up the surround processor while adjusting the eq's.

Pics to come. Many thanks to Lee Salyers, owner of the theater for taking a leap of faith and allowing me to do this.
    Doug Hart
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Re: Yet another new venue to hear the insanity.

Post by Doug Hart on Sun May 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Steve and I are already talking about making the trip back up to watch a movie after you get the system perfected.
    rich4349
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by rich4349 on Mon May 27, 2013 9:34 am

Great write up! I'd love to get over there and hear these, mainly the new GC25.

BUT... the $64 question is: What does the theatre owner and or managers think??

(AND: Make SURE to keep a 1st gen GC25 around for comparison's sake in the future!) A:B comparisons are INVALUABLE.

Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 pm

We finished the theater last nite. For the full monty, go to my blog.

http://blog.speakerhardware.com/
    rich4349
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by rich4349 on Mon May 27, 2013 12:57 pm

Yep, read that. I didn't see any mention of the owner's opinion.
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Tue May 28, 2013 8:13 am

Ah true. Lee (owner)has pretty profound hearing damage. He did say it sounded better, with or without his hearing aids. But he also discounted his own opinion entirely. His projectionist was pretty impressed however.

We are hoping for unsolicited feedback from the patrons. There are no MVW signs (yet) nor any indication of the change.
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 am

Tonight. Parsons Municipal Auditorium,I'm sure. Moved inside because of weather. 2 RachE 18's, 4 RachE 15's, 4 GC46. A 60's cover band who are excellent.
    rich4349
    Bronze Member
    Bronze Member

Post by rich4349 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 pm

So do you guys have a special show at the Parsons Theatre? I see they're showing "Here Comes The Boom" ! lol Is that the MMA movie, or something you Steve and Tom came up with??

affraid

BigE
    Inventor
    Inventor

Post by BigE on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:10 am

rich4349 wrote:So do you guys have a special show at the Parsons Theatre? I see they're showing "Here Comes The Boom" ! lol Is that the MMA movie, or something you Steve and Tom came up with??

affraid

Nice!!!

We (Steve and I) actually did a show (provided background music and supported the video presentation) here in Piper City for an alumni Dinner. The oldest class in attendance was 1939 (3 people from that class) and got rave compliments with the sound and musical selection. Yup the old folk could hear it clearly throughout the room, but sitting in front of the mains they could easily hear the conversation from the other side of the table and never had to yell. Venue == untreated High School (now Middle School) gym.

Yup, 2 LC8's full range and under 90 dB. Results AWESOME!!!!

The 21's and 18's were still on the trailer.

Next venue scheduled will be the same rig for a silent auction for Christ Lutheran High School.

But yeah Leland we need a show report and also an updated Movie theater report too!!!

Poke the Bear... Poke THE BEAR!!!! LOL!
    Leland Crooks
    Manufacturer
    Manufacturer

Post by Leland Crooks on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:34 am

Here's a copy of what I posted on Facebook.
    Before the software on my phone crapped out I measured avg 101db at the stacks, on the side with the GC25's 10ft away. (the small models on the poles) 1/2 a block a way I was still getting avg 90db. At a full city block away I was still getting in the upper 70's. You could hear the music at a block away, but it was not much above ambient, just enough to hear it pretty clearly. Announcements however, were sharp and clear even block away, getting some nice bounce without screwing up the intelligibility off the buildings. The DJ bumped it obviously for announcements. Pretty astounding for a pair of cabs loaded with 5" drivers. My software died before I could measure the big stack side, but the music on it was good for over a block. Announcements for 2 blocks. Of course with this setup we had some pretty good side nodes from the subs. Surprisingly little loss in front of the cabs due to the unintentional cardioid setup. The bottom end was bangin' everywhere. Special thanks to Matt Hoisington for the loan of 14k watts worth of QSC goodness to run this stack. We never even warmed them up.

To expand on this a bit, and since it's here where I can throw all the MVW bullshit I want, it was staggeringly good. Props to DJ Mike, he pimped the cabs many times during the show. I saw several people walk up to them and look at them askance. But none of them talked to us.

RachE15's are the deal. Close to the 18's in output, the sound quality of the 12's. My go to sub, period. GC25's are just insane. The quality and output of this teeny box has to be heard to be believed. We started out with xover points at 70hz to the tops, and they were just coasting. I had Doug move it 60, then they started moving some air. The GC46's are going to get some revising. With what we've learned with the 25's, I think it can be improved. They sounded great, better than anything in their size and price class, it's just the GC25 is a game changer. 4 of them to a side would have taken care of the event with the same coverage we had. After the show we ran the 4 GC25's with a RachE12, 15, and 18 together. And they kept up. A pair of GC25's with a single RachE 15 is a magic combination.

They want MVW sound back for the 4th of July. Sound for 6000. Thinking I'll have to break out the WT8's from storage for that one. A pair of WT8's per side with 4-6 GC25's on top would be a system to be reckoned with.

We did lose a driver. What the hell, what kind of test is it if you don't blow something up? One of the 12's started popping. We were running nowhere near it's rated power, pretty sure it's a defective driver. Doug suspects the spider came loose. I'll find out when I pull it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:00 pm